Monday, September 3, 2012

I Am A Poor Movie Reviewer Too

A few weeks ago, I posted a blog titled "Why I Am A Poor Book Reviewer"

I've realized lately that I am a poor movie reviewer as well.  A month or so ago, I went with my son and brother-in-law to see The Amazing Spider-Man.


I loved the movie.  If I had to pick out any poor points was during the mind-boggling array of web-swinging--oh, by the way, I did NOT watch this in 3D.  Those scenes made me very dizzy, and I reminisced on my first viewing of the first Transformers movie and how during the fighting I didn't quite know who was who.

Did the movie entertain?

You betcha!

Enough said.  I listened to a number of podcasts afterwards about how they thought that, once again, we had to endure the origins of Spiderman.  I didn't care.  I liked the movie, and when compared with the Spiderman movies from a few years ago, I treat them as different versions of the same tale.  I liked the origin of this one.

It entertained.  It did its job.  I came out of the movie with a sense of exhilaration, that I felt like I could be Spider-Man.  I know how stupid that may sound, and of course I don't possess any superpowers (although, if I did, I would keep it secret . . .).

My threshold?

Entertainment.  That's it.  Sure, as a writer, I'll try and predict how the story is going to go, and many times I'm right.  But it still did its job: to entertain.

No comments:

Post a Comment