Wednesday, September 19, 2012

I am an Introvert. Gotta problem with that?

I am currently reading Susan Cain's book Quiet: The Power of Introverts In a World That Can't Stop Talking.

I first discovered Susan from her fabulous TED talk:


Her book is packed with information on what makes introverts tick--as well as how one even defines introverts and how even in the realm of introverts there are vast differences.  First, in watching this, and then in reading her book, I knew I had some misconceptions on what introverts mean.

Now, I'm not going to say I'm an expert in this field, but I do have some first-hand knowledge from the battlefield.  I thought introverts just mean shy and extroverts just mean outgoing.  Wrong.  It's a lot more complex than that.

With that being said, I will gradually explore the notion of being an introvert.  Because I am one.  This very subject was also mentioned in a past podcast episode by Mur Lafferty's I Should Be Writing where she herself confessed to being an introvert.

It's not all bad.

Being an introvert and also having a creative nature can have its advantages.  But that is for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment