Friday, February 8, 2013

Happenings In The Outhouse 08-Feb-2013 / NaNoWriMo in February

Two days ago, on the 6th of February, I finished writing the novelette titled Guest of Honor.  At a little over 11K words, I finished just shy of midnight.  Goal accomplished!

I'm still going to continue with what I've been calling my "NaNoWriMo in February".  Now I'm starting work on the first draft of a . . . alternative history/military fiction/thriller novel (holy crap, what a combination, but the writing industry loves their little tags and categories so there it is).  I wrote about nine chapters about 4-5 years ago, then stopped.  I stopped because I wanted to edit one of my completed novels for publication.

In re-reading the nine chapters, cleaning up some of the language and changing the date of the time period, I came to a conclusion: I need a prologue.

I've been listening to some podcast episodes lately on the use of prologues.  A pros and cons, so to speak.  Many are severely against it--one guy on a podcast even said he would NEVER read a novel that had a prologue.

I may write a blog post on this (okay, not may.  I will!) soon so watch out for it.

Prologues have their use.  If used properly.  Here's the way I see it: prologues are used to set up the story.  Movies do this.  In fact, I've been watching the DVD of John Carter (no, don't feel sorry for me . . . at least not yet) and the opening few minutes sets up the rest of the movie.  Even National Treasure and The Amazing Spiderman and . . . the list goes on and on.

The prologue in my new novel would be new.  I haven't written it yet.  But I have made a decision to do so.

Because it's needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment