Friday, August 31, 2012

Happenings In The Outhouse 31-Aug-2012 / My crash course on thriller novels

Typically, during the editing phase of Beholder's Eye, I've done an average of 3 chapters at time.  Right now, due to a few reasons, I'm doing 5.

The main reason is that the amount of pages only totals 15.  An average of 3 pages a chapter.  Also, as the investigation starts barrelling towards the home plate, these five chapters fit nicely and are carry a common theme between them.

In other words, right now I'm currently working on chapters 43-47.

I try to mix up my chapter lengths.  Some authors (James Patterson, for one) is the ultimate king of the short chapter.  Most of his are 2-3 pages long.  Not all of mine are short.  I don't consciously plan out how long the chapters are.  It depends on what's happening in the story, by in large.

Aside from that, I recieved notice from an area writing contest that my short story was not selected as one of the chosen to be published in a local area story collection.  I'm a little bummed out, but once again it reminds me that writing is hard work.  I'm not bitter about it.  It's the nature of the game.  Instead of putting it back out there, I'll be posting it up for free on this blog in the near future so everyone can enjoy.  It's called "Salute" so be sure to watch out for it.

Let's talk about what I'm currently reading.  A few weeks ago, I decided that I needed a small crash course in thriller writers.  I read from a wide variety of authors and genres, and since Beholder's Eye is a thriller, there are a number of authors I've never read.  So, I did.  I picked up:

Persuader by Lee Child

Tell No One by Harlan Coben

Blood Work by Michael Connelly (I've read Connelly before, just never this book)

The Program by Stephen White (I've also read White before)

Blowback by Brad Thor

I have others on the mental "to read" list as well.  Be sure to check out my book list on Good Reads.

For fun, here's a catchy tune about a famous fantasy author.  There's a few colorful words, so if the "B-word" offends you, do not watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment