Friday, June 16, 2023

Stealing Ideas / Happenings In The Outhouse 16-June-2023

If there ever an original idea that can be stolen?

And how original can your idea be?

Recently, an acquaintance suggested to their employer to have a bake sale to help raise funds for some new equipment.  Nothing more was said by the employer, and then when the employer actually did have a bake sale, this acquaintance had the nerve to say, "They stole my idea!"

As if NOBODY else has ever heard of having a bake sale.  It was an idea.  A suggestion.  Seriously, get over it.

That being said, the employer could've said, "Hey, thanks for the idea!" to at least give the employee some recognition.  They didn't.

Ideas are a dime a dozen.  They're everywhere.

I recently attended two online writing workshops.  One was on cold cases and the other was on modern murder cases.  At the end of the three-week workshops, I had to write a short story with a specific given scenario.  I completed them on time (I got great feedback on them too, by the way).  Now, I have no way of knowing this, but there were probably dozens of people taking both courses and I'll bet that each story, despite having a specific scenario, were all completely different.

Come up with ideas.  Share them.  Give them away.  Then come up with more ideas.

In fact, one assignment on the cold case workshop was to come up with ten different ideas for cold cases.  That was quite a feat, and I had a blast doing it.  The first ideas were easy, but as I got down the list they were more difficult to come up with.  But I still did it.

So go have a bake sale!  Don't worry, it wasn't my idea!

On a side note, I'm nearing the end of my current work-in-progress.  I surpassed the 90,000 word mark.  Hoping to finish it up in the next few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment