Friday, December 16, 2022

You Are No Mick Mars / Happenings In The Outhouse 16-Dec-2022

First, a quick update on my work-in-progress.  In the past month, I have doubled my word count.  It is over 44,000 words.  I am slating to finish by January 2023.

In late October 2022, Mick Mars, the guitarist for the heavy metal band Motley Crue, announced his retirement from touring with the band due to a medical condition he has been battling for several decades.  The next day, a guitarist named John 5 was named as Mars's replacement in the upcoming tour.

People love nostalgia.  If you don't believe me, watch the skyrocketing popularity of Stranger Things and everything 1980's.

People also love things to remain the same.  Bands to remain the same, authors to remain the same, companies to remain the same.  Even life in general, people crave it to remain the same.

But like everything, change is inevitable.

I am not familiar with John 5 and I can imagine people saying to him, "You are no Mick Mars" and dismissing him.

If that is the case, you are a fool.  Go to YouTube and search videos of John 5.  He is an amazing guitarist.  Rarely does a band have the same lineup for their entire career span.  And in reading John 5's bio, I am super impressed.

No, he isn't Mick Mars.

Then again, he shouldn't be.

And you shouldn't be whomever you are trying to imitate.

I'm not Stephen King, Rowling, Patterson, or Grisham.

No comments:

Post a Comment