Friday, April 1, 2022

No Excuses / Happenings In The Outhouse 01-April-2022

I recently listened to a podcast interview Tim Ferris did with the one and only Neil Gaiman, and it struck me as odd that us creatives no longer have any excuses when it comes to creating our work.  None whatsoever.

In the interview (it is well worth the 90 minutes to listen to it; it is absolutely golden), Neil talked about how he wrote many of his stories using a fountain pen.  Yes, my friend, by hand.  No laptop.  No computer.  Not even a portable typewriter.

By hand.

He also said that while vacationing, he thought he brought materials to finish one of his novels, American Gods.  It turned out he forgot them behind, so therefore wrote more on his bestselling The Graveyard Book.  Funny how life turns out, huh?

Kevin J. Anderson, bestselling science fiction and fantasy author, dictates many of his novels in a recorder, then has them transcribed.

Years ago, I wrote a few short stories by hand at work, and I will tell you that it was liberating.  Writing out by hand makes one think more about the words they're putting down.

It is something I may try again, when I find myself either in a place where I didn't bring my laptop or I want to start scribbling some notes.

No comments:

Post a Comment