Friday, February 11, 2022

Marketing Wall Drug / Happenings In The Outhouse 11-Feb-2022

The dreaded M word: marketing.

Nearly all writers that I know HATE to self-promote their own books--yours truly included.  They want nothing more than to sit in front of their computer and plunk words down onto the page.  Going on book tours or lining up interviews makes them uncomfortable and are seemingly a complete waste of time because it doesn't seem to coincide with a sudden spike in book sales.

If you go anywhere within a few hundred (or more) miles of the Badlands in South Dakota, you will see billboards galore about a place called Wall Drug.  I have been through the Badlands and the Black Hills area a handful of times in my life, and truth be told I have never visited the store Wall Drug.

But I remember the signs.

Even still to this day.

When it comes to writers, the axiom of keep publishing, keep putting more and more stuff out there in the world, seems to be the most valuable advice when it comes to marketing.  Are there other pieces of advice to market your works?  Of course.  But the best overall is to keep writing.

The more inventory you have, the better your chances of gaining someone's attention.  When I finish reading a book and crave something different, I go through my list of ebooks to discover an author I had bought their book long ago or something in my mind reminds me to check out their books.

Remember, slow and steady wins the race.  Look at the most recent theatrical or television or streaming adaptations of books to come out in the last handful of years.  The majority are from books written a few decades ago.

With that being said, if you like serial killer thrillers, be sure to check out the first in my Central Division series: Beholder's Eye.  It is free.


Here again is the link to all ebook retailers for this book.

Lastly, on my current work-in-progress, I have finished with the third part (out of four) and my current word count is around 89,000 words.  Hoping to be done with this and move on to the next project by early summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment