Friday, August 20, 2021

Setbacks As A Learning Tool / Happenings In The Outhouse 20-Aug-2021

I read an article last week where it addressed the notion of not speaking out on any career setbacks as it may come across in a negative light.  Although I typically don't talk about my day job nor broadcast who my employer is, the article spoke to me as I use my setbacks as a training tool for folks not as far along in their career.

Early on where I work, I applied for a variety of leadership roles.  I always secured an interview with the powers that be, but advancing into leadership didn't seem to be in the cards.  No one could offer any feedback as to why.  I'm not blaming anyone for this.  With our litigious environment in society, messages back to me were vague and offered no direction.

Yes, your typical HR response, in cases.  Again, it was just the nature of the beast as they didn't have a mechanism for feedback.

After receiving the news on someone else being offered the job instead of me, I decided to take a step back and work on improving myself.  I held off on applying again until I learned as much as I could, working hard to better myself and my skills.

Then, a number of years later, a leadership opening in my department prompted me to apply again.  I chatted with the manager and director as I sat down for the interview.  After the first question, which led a fair bit of discussion, they advised me that the current leadership role I was applying for may not be a suitable for me and my talent/skills, but one they were creating had me written all over it and would be thrilled for me to lead in that position.

I accepted.

Don't use the lack of feedback as an excuse not to improve yourself.  Reflect on your current skills as well as the skills needed for what you want to do.  If you want to be better at woodworking, not only throw yourself into experimenting with it but also study those who do woodworking very well.  If you want to be a better painter, same thing.  Auto mechanics or public speaking, also the same.

I do the same with writing.  I've received feedback on what I do well, but I also experiment and study skills I'm lacking.

Strive to learn.

Strive to improve.

And best of all, have fun doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment