Friday, August 13, 2021

Fueling Your Creations / Happenings In The Outhouse 13-Aug-2021

Happy Friday the 13th!


I was recently asked, if I had all the money I needed in order to live and didn't need to work where I currently am, what would I do?

The answer was an easy one: writing.

For anyone who knows me, I love to write.  It's been in my blood since as far back as I can remember.  Stashed away in an old box somewhere could be a few worn and tattered tablets, possibly with Snoopy on the front, where I wrote many of my ideas and story starts.  How far back you may ask?  Thinking second grade, perhaps.  Now, these ideas are undoubtedly childlike and not very good, but for a budding writer they were my playground.

Since I have neither won the lottery (I don't play anyway) nor been granted a huge inheritance from a long lost relative, I use my current employment as a means to fuel my creations.  I can create what I want, when I want.  I still push myself to always do as much as I can, but without the added stress of a steady paycheck and health insurance.

I know a fair amount of writers who have jobs to fuel their creative side.  It isn't anything to be ashamed about.  In fact, it could be used as story fodder.  Let's say you're a trauma nurse.  There has to be stories there!  Or a corrections officer.  Bingo!  A convenience store clerk?  Of course!  Speak from experience and use that as an authority to speak about it, or to add color to your story.

If your goal is to have your creations fuel your finances by itself, learn all you can about the business side and work toward that as your goal.  Yes, I'd love it if I had millions in the bank and could do what I want.  But until that day comes, I have to be patient and keep creating.

No comments:

Post a Comment