Friday, December 25, 2020

Finding Value, Finding Fun / Happenings In The Outhouse 25-Dec-2020

Merry Christmas!

I didn't purposefully intend for this blog post to drop on this blessed day.  Some blogs I plan out a week or more in advance.  Others are more spur of the moment, something that sparked a thought in my mind.  This one was planned.

In fact, I had another one in mind, one that has been generating a bit of news throughout the publishing and financial community, but decided to put that one off for a bit.

If you've been reading this blog for quite some time, you know that once every year or so, I go on what I call a "podcast fast."  This is where I completely distance myself from podcasts--or dramatically cut down on the number of them.  My goal is to be able to listen to all of the episodes that drop in a single week.  But there are only a handful of weeks where I'm able to do this.

Hence, I question on what I find value in.

Finding value is the barometer in which I select not only my podcasts, but even podcast episodes and other content.  Some of a more Christian nature I will listen to the majority of them.  But given how people have become in 2020, especially since late May 2020 and even leading up to the U.S. Election, I have cut out a number of podcasts.  I even tried to listen to a podcast that had a political view much different than mine, just so I could diversify my knowledge.  But when I found their facts as grounded as wet sand, I didn't find any value in it and unsubscribed.

I have two measurements in which I consume content.  Does it have value?  Or is it fun?  Or both?

If it's something I find value in, I will latch onto it.  If there's no value, I question whether or not to consume it.  Chances are, I dismiss it and move on.  There is too much going on for me to waste with mindless drones--can anyone say mainstream media?  Yup.  No value there.

No comments:

Post a Comment