Friday, May 12, 2023

Adapt And Overcome (Makeshift Chopsticks) / Happenings In The Outhouse 12-May-2023

The other day at work, I brought leftover pot roast.  My girlfriend had made it a few nights earlier, and it was amazing.  But when I opened my lunchbox to retrieve the leftovers, I discovered something was missing: no plasticware.  No fork, knife, or spoon.

Nothing.

Across the room, near the coffee pots was a container of stirring sticks.  I grabbed a few, and used them like chopsticks to eat my lunch.

I adapted to the situation, and overcame.  I succeeded.

Oh, sure, I could've used my fingers and ate like a pig, but I didn't.

When many are hit with obstacles, their first instinct is to curl up in a ball and whine.  Don't do that.  Think to the positive.

Another example occurred just the other night.  My youngest was doing her homework and had to write something.  But something happened that caused her work to get lost.  It was no longer retrievable.  She asked me, "Dad, have you ever had this happen?  What did you do?"

My answer was simple: "It happens all the time when I'm writing.  Maybe not a software glitch, but I may get stuck.  So I go do something else and come back to it.  Or think of it as a fortune, because I'll write something better."

You know what happened?  She wrote something better.

If you hit obstacles, think of it as a blessing and come up with a solution.  A better one will present itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment