Friday, September 16, 2022

My Competition Is NOT Other Writers / Happenings In The Outhouse 16-Sept-2022

I wrote a blog post 11 years ago about who my competition is.

To recap, it isn't other writers.  Because readers buy more than one author to read.  I don't know if I exactly agree with my premise at the time, that illiteracy was my biggest competitor.  In fact, lately, I know exactly who my competition is.

It's me.

I am my own worst critic, my own worst enemy.  My writing is all up to me to complete, doing all of Heinlein's five rules.  I need to keep churning out the products.

Last weekend, my girlfriend witnessed three people in two days come up to me and ask about my writing.  One even said they bought my last book and were halfway through it.  Another mentioned if I was rich.  Spoiler alert: I am not.

I love to entertain people with my writing.

I do agree that people who don't read--or can't--are people to go after, but in reality they need to be able to read first.  And want to read.

We need to give people a reason to read.

We need to write the best, most entertaining stories we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment