Friday, August 26, 2022

One Space Or Two / Happenings In The Outhouse 26-August-2022

A conversation came up weeks ago about whether or not to put one space or two after a period when writing.  For as far back as I can remember, it was always two spaces.  Without question.  Even during my college years, it was two spaces.  No college professors stated otherwise.

Two.

Not one.

Two.

Apparently there has been a change, years ago, that state only a single space is required instead of two.  Searching online can bring up a variety of articles written on the subject.  I won't bore you with the details.

When it comes to writing--and this goes for much of creative, fiction writing--as long as you can draw the reader into your story, it doesn't matter how many spaces you use after a period.  When I asked people that I know who read a lot on this subject, they shrug and say they don't even pay attention to it.  All they want is the story.

If you're writing a paper and your college professor requires you to put one space, then do that.  No sense arguing.  Just do it.  But if you're writing a story, write it so well-crafted that the reader doesn't even notice.  For me, it's habit to use two spaces.

And I will continue to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment