Friday, June 25, 2021

How the Conjuring Universe is affirming my writing / Happenings In The Outhouse 25-June-2021

Once again, I feel like I'm late to the party on this one.  I just recently discovered the Conjuring universe.  The latest movie, The Devil Made Me Do It, just came out in the theaters.  I binged the other two before watching this one, but as they're like standalone movies anyway there is no need to watch them in order.  Yes, they are truly based on true events.

There are other movies in the Conjuring universe (7-8 movies at this point) and what struck me when I watched the first one, it did something that I started in my writing long, long ago.

One of the old writing adages is that if you introduce something at the beginning of your story, it had better be resolved by the end.  For example, if a treasure map comes into someone possession by the first few chapters, by the end it better lead to somewhere important--think Goonies for example.

My very first novel I ever wrote was a deer hunting horror story, set in a fictional town in northern Minnesota.  This one has yet to be published, and there is a LOT of work I need to do on it IF it is ever to see publication.  Anyway, there were elements in the first story that I introduced that weren't going to be resolved until book two or three.

Then, I've introduced a few elements to the Central Division thriller series, like in a few prologues and side chapters, that won't be resolved until later.  True, mine is part of a series, but with how the Conjuring does it, it affirms that I'm on to something.

No comments:

Post a Comment