Friday, November 20, 2020

Using lists wisely / Happenings In The Outhouse 20-Nov-2020

I have written about lists and their importance before.  However, I saw that need come to a head about a month ago as I was struggling to write the next thriller in the Central Division Series.

The story is about a Catholic priest who was brutally murdered and the investigation to find the killer.  And, like all thrillers, there is a lot going on and I kept losing track of some key pieces.

So I made a list.  I made a list of every possible scenario and piece of evidence, and when I addressed it I crossed it off the list.  I can tell you for a fact that this has made a tremendous difference.

But the question I asked myself was why.  Why now?  I've written thrillers before and not needed such a list.

I'm not going to sugarcoat this, so here it goes.  I have a lot going on.  I know I'm not alone in this.  With losing my wife in January 2020 to the global pandemic to working from home, there are good points to this all and some that are more difficult to manage.  So my mind hasn't been all there.

The list helps.

If you find yourself getting sidetracked, see if a list will help get you back on track.  I am currently around the 27,000 word mark on the thriller, and these past few weeks I have seen great progress as I chug forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment