Friday, July 24, 2020

It's all in the details / Happenings In The Outhouse 24-July-2020

A funny thing happened earlier this week.  I'm about 8,400 words into the next thriller in the Central Division Series and it dawned on me that I may not have one of the details right.

The detail in question was the day of the week.  The story involved the murder of a religious figure, which occurred right after an evening service.

Now, around here, most religious services occur on Wednesdays, Saturdays, and of course Sundays.  In other areas, it's just Sundays.  For some, services are a daily occurrence.  Even a many-time-a-day thing.

But this was one detail, albeit minor, that could have had greater implications down the road if I didn't get it right.

When I look back at other stories I've enjoyed, it's the small details that make or break it.  I'm knowledgeable about firearms--no, I am not a firearms guru who can rattle off stats and give intricate details about this model of weapon--and it irks me to no end when I see a line that goes something like this: "He cocked back the hammer on his Glock . . ."  Sorry, but Glocks do not have an external hammer to cock back.

Look for the small details in your story.  If the day of the week is important, be specific about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment