Friday, April 10, 2020

Stop trying to be clever and tell the story / Happenings In The Outhouse 10-April-2020

For those who know me, I don't trash any of the Star Wars prequels and sequels.  I take them for what they're worth as pure entertainment.  Obviously, the original three are my favorites--and Empire being my favorite of those three.

But as I watched the last movie this past weekend, there were a few times I shook my head and urged the story to just move along . . . move along.

This seems to be the case with all three sequel movies.  Clunky dialogue that doesn't serve any purpose except some cheap thrills, endless bickering about nothing, overexplaining, and the list goes on.

Take the first Star Wars movie: A New Hope.  Did it have clunky dialogue?  Sure, like Han explaining to Luke that flying through hyperspace isn't like dusting crops.  But it flowed.  In the first thirty minutes of the final movie, there were five to ten minutes of overexplaining and bickering and weird dialogue that could've (should've) just been cut.

Back to A New Hope.  Luke asked Ben/Obi Wan if he fought in the Clone Wars.  He said he did.  And that was it.  No explaining WHAT the Clone Wars was or anything.

All of these things on the sequel movies took away a bit from the overall story, and with that I am sad.  I still loved them, but they could've been better.  And with that, our lesson for today.  When telling a story, don't feel the need to explain every little thing.  Rowling didn't do that in the first Harry Potter book.  She showed us the canvas and left it for us to wonder, to use our imagination.

Do that with your story.

Tell the story.

And leave it at that.

No comments:

Post a Comment