Friday, March 27, 2020

Strange times and writing advice / Happenings In The Outhouse 27-March-2020

Unless you've been living under a rock or in a cave, these are definitely strange times we're in. My day job has allowed me to work from home, which I am thankful for.  Many companies have had to adapt to these restrictions our state and federal governments have placed on us, and even then some have had to shut their doors for the time being.

I have also seen how important having a schedule is.  I'm keeping my same break/lunch schedule, which helps.

There are two videos I'd like to share with you.  Especially for the indie authors.  The first is by Dean Wesley Smith.  This 40+ video is packed with info.  Take notes.


The second one is by his wife Kristine Kathryn Rusch.  Again, take notes.


If I may paraphrase one portion of her talk, she said there was some advice that 800-page fantasy books are not quite the thing anymore.  She said, "But I like 800-page fantasy books."  And so do I.  Just because one person says it's not "in style" or "in market" doesn't mean that there isn't someone out there who will love it.

AS I've always said, take writing advice with a grain of salt.  Both Dean and Kris have been writing for over four decades.  Yes, four!  I take their advice more seriously than someone who's been writing for four months or four years with only a handful of books.  It was in Dean's talk, he said that between the two they have over 1000 stories published.

Now who's advice will I follow more?  Think about it.

1 comment: