Friday, February 15, 2019

Independence / Happenings In The Outhouse 15-Feb-2019

I want to thank all of those who reached out to me to express their gratitude concerning my grandfather.  The heartfelt outpouring has been humbling.

I went to visit with my grandfather Ray on Groundhog Day.  Prior to this visit, I was on the fence about even seeing him.  I was one of a few grandchildren who helped to celebrate his 95th birthday last April, and we always see him when we celebrate Christmas and Thanksgiving at my parents' house.  Between my wife and my sister, they convinced me to visit.  And I am both glad and blessed that I did.

Seeing him in such a vulnerable position was difficult to witness.  A hospital bed was situated in the living room, and pictures from his entire family (including his late wife Adelyne, who passed away close to 15 years or so ago) lining the walls.  He slept for a bit, but when he was awake, boy did he love to talk.

At one point, he looked over at me and said something profound.  "Mark, all my life, I've been very independent.  I've always done stuff myself.  This," he said, indicating the current living arrangements, with his children giving him literally 24/7 care (two of his children had come from Lacrosse, Wisconsin, and Bremerton, Washington while the rest live nearby), "I don't like people having to wait on me, hand and foot.  Even the most simple things, I can't do without help."

Independence.

I cherish my independence and have instilled that notion in my three children.
Being independent is another reason why I have chosen to be an indie author when compared to a traditionally published one.  Bookbub recently published a post about each of these paths.  Very interesting read . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment