Friday, February 22, 2019

Changing things up / Happenings In The Outhouse 22-Feb-2019

A few weeks ago, I was irritated at the slow pace I've been writing my new fantasy epic.  At the rate it's going, and the actual scope of this immense project, I don't feel I'll have it completed before the end of 2019.

Don't get me wrong.  I've been writing quite a bit.  500 words here, 750 there.  And at a fairly steady pace.  But I knew something had to change.

You see, I've been using the previous written pages as an outline.  Well, I had two tabs open on the screen.  One with the new pages, the other with the old.  Going back and forth was getting a bit daunting.

I knew where the story was heading.  So, I sat down with a tablet and read ahead a half-dozen scenes.  I scribbled notes on what I read.
Then, I closed the other tab, set the tablet off to the side, and wrote.  I referred to the notes from time to time, but after a while even the story took on a slightly different direction.  It was better.

It's okay to change things up.  If what you're doing isn't working as efficiently as you'd like, brainstorm on what could be done differently.  Experiment if you have to.

And if one thing doesn't work, try something else.  Find the most efficient way to create.  You'll thank yourself in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment