Friday, January 2, 2015

Outlining really does work (honestly) / Happenings In The Outhouse

If you've read my blog at any length, you know I'm not a real fan of outlining.  I am what is called a pantser--AKA writing off the seat of my pants.

Now, I can't say I never outline.  In fact, even the most die-hard of pantser writers outline some, even if it's brief drabs in their mind.  When I get an idea for a story, I describe it as Morse Code.  The dots are places where I feel the story is going and the dashes are scenes I've thought about.  Put them together and ta-da!

Magic!

A story is born . . .

Earlier this week, at work, I decided to outline the rest of Straight Razor, the second novel in the Central Division Series.  I'm currently 45,000 words into it and going strong.  I figure another 25,000 words should about do it.

I spent both breaks and lunch outlining the rest of the story.  Now, all I have to do is sit down and write.

No comments:

Post a Comment