Friday, February 21, 2014

Happenings In The Outhouse 21-Feb-2014 / The quest for beta readers

I recently joined Wattpad.  It's an online social network revolved around reading and writing.  If you want to follow me, please click on this link on Wattpad: MarkSRPeterson.

Recently, on a few podcasts I listen to (the few I actually do listen to now, since narrowing my list down), the authors mentioned Wattpad and how they're using it as a testing ground for their writing.  In examining my own work, I would love to have a number of readers go through and let me know what works and what doesn't.

Hence, the reason I joined Wattpad.  Nothing will replace having a handful of readers to send my work to, so if you are interested, please drop me an e-mail.

I am in this writing gig for the long haul.  I'm not looking to get rich quick (of course, it would be nice but I'm not expecting it).  To think that is unrealistic.  However, I have seen postings from those who complain about their lack of sales, yet they only have one or two books out there.  They're waiting on some magic spell to cast them into the light of the bestsellers.

Sorry, it ain't gonna happen, Bubba.

Last year, I made a little over $70 from my published works on Amazon.  Now, a few may thumb your nose at me--which I could really give a crap if you do.  The bottom line is the $70 is a start.  At the start of last year, I had one book out (a wedding saving ebook) and I published three more: Guest of Honor in April, Beholder's Eye in August, and Gabriel's Hope in October.  The bulk of my sales have come from Beholder's Eye, and it was only out for 5 months in 2013.

(BTW, in early January, I had a Kindle Countdown promo for Beholder's Eye and I honestly made more last month than all of last year - not bad for an indie author.  It won't afford me a week-long trip to Disney World or anything, but it'll put a bit more food on our table).

Shadowkill still continues to chug along.  I'm roughly a fourth of the way through the edits, but they seem to be going faster.  Let's see if I can get it done by the end of Q1.

No comments:

Post a Comment