Friday, February 7, 2014

Happenings In The Outhouse 07-Feb-2014 / Thinking long-term

As an indie author, it's difficult for me not to check the Amazon ranking of my three published works of fiction.  When I ran the Kindle Countdown promotion a few weeks ago, I checked it at least once every few hours.

I still check it a few times a day, but I don't fret if the ranking grows or shrinks--the closer to #1 you get the better, as it means you've sold a few books.

Why?

I'm in this for the long haul.  This isn't just a thing I'm doing to try get rich for a few years.  I'll be writing for the rest of my life--hopefully that's a lot of decades to hone and perfect my craft.

Not too long ago, I was asked whether or not I'm going to try seek out a literary agent for Shadowkill.  My answer was no.  I spent far too many years chasing my tail with agents and traditional publishers.  I'm going at this independently.  There are others doing it (do the names Hugh Howey or Amanda Hocking ring a bell?), so why not I?

I'm roughly a fifth of the way through editing Shadowkill.  If anyone out there would like to be a beta reader, please send me a quick e-mail at marksrpeterson@gmail.com and put Beta Reader in the subject line.  I won't promise everyone will get a chance to be a beta reader, but I'll give it my best shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment