Monday, September 30, 2013

The sauerkraut lesson

Growing up, I hated sauerkraut.  There weren't too many things I wouldn't eat, and sauerkraut was one of them.  Liver was probably another, along with brussel spouts.  But sauerkraut--yuck!

Then, not long after my wife and I got married, she made a recipe that involved sauerkraut--the basics is to take frozen bread dough, let it thaw, flatten it out, and fill it with cooked hamburger, 1000 island dressing, and sauerkraut.  I loved it!  And guess what I order sometimes at restaurants?  Reuben sandwiches!

The point is I tried it and liked it.  The same goes with various aspects of your writing.  Are you a discovery writer or an outliner?  Try both.  Do you write better in the mornings or at night or both?  Try all.  I used to be a night writer.  Now, as age catches up to me, I find that mornings are a better fit for me.

When you come across something that may improve your writing, give it a try.  Try as much as you can, and if it honestly doesn't work for you, at least you know you gave it an honest try.  You can't try everything, but if something is intriguing enough, you owe it to yourself to see how it works for you.

Because I could have hated sauerkraut after my wife cooked up that one dish.  But I didn't.  Still not a fan of liver or brussel spouts--yes, I have tried both.

No comments:

Post a Comment