Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Dusting off the old trophies

As I stated in last week's "Happenings in the Outhouse", I'm editing an old manuscript.  And I mean, it's anywhere from 8-10 years old.  I've gone through it from time to time over the years, and just when I think it's perfect, I'd send it out to agents.

This is one book I've gotten quite a number of bites on over the years.  Several agents have even asked to read a partial.  But, time and time again, they've all said the same thing: it needs work.

Yes it does.

I don't recommend going through old manuscripts, but from time to time, some of the stories you've written could warrant seeing the light of publishing.  With a strong editing hand, that is.  I'm learning a lot by going through it, and I'm only on the first few chapters.  I'm making it much, much better.

I don't write for the market, yet in this case I'm making an exception.  This book has zombies in it.  In watching both Season 1 and 2 of The Walking Dead on Netflix and World War Z in the theater, zombies seem to be making a comeback--although I wonder if they ever even left.  My zombies are more like WWZ yet they play a small part.

In looking back at my other old manuscripts, there's one more I'd like to tackle soon, but for now it's going to sit on the backburner.  Sorry to sound so cryptic, but let's just say it's a cross between Nightmare on Elm Street and the Boogeyman.  That's all I'm going to say about that.  Oh, I almost forgot, I have a little bit of The Exorcist thrown in too.  But that's for next year.  If at all.  It's been several years since I've looked at that one.

What can entertain you for less than an hour and cost $1.99?  You got it, it's my ebook Guest of Honor which is available on the Amazon Kindle store.  I also have a short story and the first chapter of Beholder's Eye in it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment