Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Are you a morning person? Or a night person?

For me, I'm a little bit of each.  Once the kids are in bed and the wife is watching Jay Leno or Jimmy Fallon, I'm usually sitting at the computer writing.

And I usually get up at least an hour before the kids do and also write.

In college, many times I was burning the midnight oil, sitting in front of my Brother word processor, cranking out page after page of my first novel.  Most of the time, I crawled into bed between two and three, and I was typically up around seven or eight, ready for classes.

I prefer nights.

Lately, though, I'm staring to really love working in the mornings.  There's a peacefulness in the house.

When do you usually like to write?

If you're having problems writing at night, get up an hour or so before everyone else and try that.

For me--and I stress, this is only for me--I can write at any time of the day or night (within reason).  A typical day starts with me getting up by six and writing for an hour.  At my full-time job, I write on my lunch and breaks.  At night, once the kids are asleep, I write again.

Do I ever rest?

Of course.  If I'm nearing the end of a good book (I'm currently reading I Don't Want To Kill You by Dan Wells) then I sometimes give my mind a rest and read.  Or I may play a video game.  Or I may just vedge out and watch TV.

So, are you a morning or a night person?

Or both?

No comments:

Post a Comment