Tuesday, January 31, 2012

I am a hypocrite!

Yes, it's true, I am a hypocrite.

I've been preaching for a while now about the power of spending even a half-hour each day for a week and brainstorming ideas . . . and it's something that I sorely needed to do myself.

Most mornings, I get up around six and work on further editing Beholder's Eye.  Then, just last week, I've been tossing around the idea of a new blog, a slant on this one, with even the possibility of putting together an ebook within the next month or so.

The concept for the ebook has been tumbling around in my mind for quite a number of years--the reason I haven't written it yet is because it's nonfiction and I'm usually writing or editing (or both) a fiction novel.

I won't share quite yet the details of the concept, but look for it in the next few weeks to come.

Now, back to my hypocrisy.

I woke up at six, as usual, but I had just finished a section in my thriller, when I decided to take a break for that morning, take a pad and pen to the dining room table, and brainstorm ideas for an hour or so.

WOW!  I can't believe all of the ideas I came up with.  The concept for the nonfiction ebook really begun to take shape and the possibilities for future ebooks in the same realm as this new blog came flooding at me.  I was amazed.  At my full-time job, I even brainstormed on my breaks and lunch, finetuning details and expanding the ideas I came up with before.

Please do not forget the power of sitting alone, with a notepad and pen, and just drumming up with ideas.  Were all of my ideas good?  Gosh, no!  But the ones that I did consider good definitely outweighed the ones that didn't.

Try it this week.

Spend 30-60 minutes of uninterrupted time and brainstorm.  You'll be amazed at what you find.

If you have any brainstorming tips, please share and comment below.  I'd love to include them on future blogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment