Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Hard copy vs. soft copy edits

By next week, I will be releasing a novelette ebook titled Guest of Honor in the Amazon Kindle KDP program.  I have finalized the cover, and am even including two bonus pieces to go along with it.

Where I'm at right now are the final edits.

My editing process has changed over the past six months, with the finalization of my thriller Beholder's Eye.  It seems to have changed for economic reasons, because before I would print the hard copy, do my edits, make the changes on the soft copy, print and repeat--it got to a point where I was printing a TON of paper.

With Guest of Honor I've done much of it on the soft copy.  I thought it was near perfect, and was leaning towards not printing and not going through the hard copy . . . and then I decided what the hell, let's print it up--all 43 pages of it.

I am so glad I did.  I didn't get through the first page without murdering the page with my pen.  Every page so far hasn't been spared a ruthless killing.  And that's a good thing, because that means I'm making the story better, tightening up sentences.

In the spectrum of hard copy vs. soft copy editing, I fall somewhere in the middle.  Where do you stand?  Are you one who needs to print everything out and cannot do anything on the computer?  Or are you one who never prints and does everything on the computer?

Or are you like me, a middle of the road writer?

Please share your thoughts in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment