Friday, September 1, 2023

Idea Machine / Happenings In The Outhouse 01-Sept-2023

I have written about ideas and brainstorming before, but let me elaborate on what could be an idea machine.

I've been improving my writing chops by taking writing classes through Dean Wesley Smith's WMG Publishing on Teachable.  If you're a writer and want to improve your skills, taking Dean's classes (also taught by his wife Kris too) is a must!

Now, what about ideas?

When you're thinking of story ideas, do you go with the first thing that comes to mind?  Chances are, it's what most people will think of and your story will be predictable.  Even the second and third and possibly the fourth thing will be predictable.

When you're brainstorming, try and come up with ten ideas.  I had to do this for one of Dean's classes.  The first few ideas were easy, but to come up with ten was a bit more difficult.  Not impossible by any means, but it allowed me to think well outside my comfort zone.  Well outside the mainstream ideas and come up with something more original.  More unique.

Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment