Friday, February 3, 2023

Thinking To The Future / Happenings In The Outhouse 03-Feb-2023

A few weeks ago, a big-name musician announced that he sold his entire music catalog for (reports say) around $200 million.

I have mixed feelings about this, from an artist's perspective.  Obviously, my writing doesn't bring anywhere near this amount if someone were to ask me to sell my entire writing catalog to them, but down the road, what if someone would?

It's an interesting concept.

Now, a lot depends on the terms of the contract.  Would said-musician get all $200 million at once?  Of course, Uncle Sam will take a huge bite out of it, but taxes would come out anyway, even if it was much lower.

My first thought when I heard this was, "What about future heirs?  What about the rest of their life?  What if they create more music?"  The musician in question is very, very young.  Does this musician plan on not making anymore music?

If, over the course of their lifetime, the amount would bring more than what is offered, then it's a bad deal.  Then again, if you bank the $200 million (minus taxes) and invest it wisely, it may bring in much more.

I then ask, "Why not both?"  Invest earnings and continue to create?

Again, it's an interesting concept to ponder.  So much more than this tiny blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment