Friday, January 31, 2020

Do you treat your writing as a hobby or as a career? / Happenings In The Outhouse 31-Jan-2020

Your writing may not be something that'll make you thousands or millions, if not billions, but how do you treat it?  What is your mindset?  Do you handle it seriously, protecting your copyright, protecting your time, even if the only person you're writing for is yourself--or your family?

For the past eight months, I will be the first to admit that writing for me has been difficult to maintain.  But I did my best.  I started a few books, only to set them off to the side because I wasn't in the right frame of mind.  I will return to them later.  Over the past month, I started a new thriller--the fifth in the Central Division series.  I finished the prologue the day before my wife passed . . . and just got back to it this week.

It's okay if you want to treat your writing as a hobby.  There's nothing wrong with it.  I'm just talking about a mindset to take what you love to do to the next level.

It's amazing what one person can do if they set aside a little bit of time each day at their hobby.  After a period of time, that hobby can be honed like a blade on a knife, and before you know it that hobby may give someone else some enjoyment in their life and a little coin in your pocket.

No comments:

Post a Comment