Monday, March 5, 2012

The Phantom Menace 3D - a unique 3D experience

A few weeks ago, I took my son to see the latest re-release of Star Wars The Phantom Menace in 3D.

The last movie I ever saw in 3D was UP, so that goes to show how long it had been since I'd seen a 3D movie.

The first thing were the previews, one of which was The Hobbit.  Another 3D movie they previewed was Wrath of the Titans, a sequel to Clash of the Titans.

Right away, I have to say that I love all of the Star Wars movies.  All six take up the top spot for movies, in my opinion.  Some of the acting makes me want to shake my head but storywise, they're great.

Now that I've got that off my chest, I also have to say that I watched the movie through rose-colored glasses--3D rose-colored glasses, mind you.

I expected the 3D images to jump out of the screen, lightsabers seeming to swing right past my head and laser blasts to leap from the screen.  That wasn't the case.  Watching George Lucas's latest 3D creation was mind-boggling.  Instead of images leaping out at you, the screen had a depth-perception that felt like I was right in the heat of the battle.

I'd have to watch the "regular" version of Phantom to be sure, but I'm almost positive there are extended scenes and added features in a number of the scenes to add to the depth-perception illusion.  In one scene, while our heroes are on Coruscant, the camera angles down and you find yourself looking almost straight down into the seemingly bottomless depths of the city--I actually clutched the sides of my seat because it felt like I was going to fall.

The lightsaber battles were very cool, and the pod races . . . well, you'll have to see it for yourself.  Thanks George.  Can't wait for Attack of the Clones.



No comments:

Post a Comment