Wednesday, December 14, 2011

New feature - Writing Prompt Wednesday - Episode #1

Welcome to the newest feature of this blog, which I have titled Writing Prompt Wednesday.

On one of my favorite fiction writing podcasts Writing Excuses they always end their 15-minute show with a writing prompt.  For a while now, I've thought this was sort of silly because there was no way I was going to participate in this when I had a novel I was working on.  Then, in a flash of inspiration, I realized the importance of it.  It gets you to write.

Pretty simple, huh?

Back in college, I obtained my second-degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do, and one of the things my TKD masters (now Grandmasters Spencer Brandt and Cindy Brandt) stressed was learning the basics.  Even in the higher belts, it was very important to master the very basics before advancing to more complicated techniques.  Because that is what an advanced more is, a series of basic moves.

The same goes with writing.  The writing prompts may seem silly, but it gets you out of your comfort zone and forces you to write, even if it's not for your upcoming bestseller.

Ready?  Here we go.

This week's writing prompt is:

Write a scene where you attend a potluck supper . . . and everyone brought the same thing.



Happy writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment