Friday, May 17, 2013

Happenings In The Outhouse 17-May-2013 / A strange thing happened at work

"I bought your book."

Those four words floored me.  Not that the person who spoke it was a complete stranger, because she wasn't.  I work with her at my full-time job.  But as we are in two different departments, this statement took me by surprise.

Ironically, I happened to be working on the hard copy of a future novel--possibly my four published work this year, with two others slated before it--at the time.  She had a few kind words to say about it, and how she read it while recently on a plane.

Aside from family and my writers' group, this is probably the first encounter I've had from someone who wasn't in one of those categerories.

I was jazzed!

I am currently over 52K words into Shadowkill, and I'm slating this novel to be done by May 31st.  It's coming along nicely, the plots and subplots emerging in a nice little tangle.  A subplot will soon be tied up, and others will follow.  At this point, I'm almost certain I will not make the 75K word count, and I'm okay with it.  Besides, I already know where I can strengthen it in the editing stage.

I'm also currently editing a short story to be submitted in this quarter's "Writers of the Future" contest.  I submitted one last quarter.  I have a little time before the July 1st deadline, but I'd like to get it off my plate soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment