Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Why I went free

Last weekend, on October 5th and 6th, I decided to place one of my ebooks up for free.

At first, I wasn't going to do this, but I wanted to experiment with something: have a shorter work for free, while at the same time promoting a larger work that one had to pay for.

My novella Guest of Honor I placed for free, while at the same time hinged it on the fact I had a thriller Beholder's Eye out there for $2.99.  I knew I'd probably sell a boatload of the free product, but at the same time I wanted to see if it would have any residual effect on the paid work.

By Sunday afternoon, I had sold close to 100 free ebooks, while I sold around a dozen of my $2.99 thriller.  Not bad.  Especially from someone just starting out.  Certainly, I'm not going to vacation in Hawaii anytime soon, but I might be able to afford a few extra Happy Meals.

Will I do it again down the road?

You betcha.

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment