Friday, April 6, 2012

When am I ever going to use that?


Many spend much of their school career learning topics they have no interest in.  In college, although we steered towards topics we did have an interest in, we still had to take a slug of general classes we all had to take that once again sparked no interest.

Or did they?

Many times over the years since college and high school, I’m confronted by something that makes me dig back into the deepest recesses of my brain to find that one small nugget I learned in ____________ (name the class/instructor).  Funny thing is I may even remember where I was sitting in the class when I learned it.

Learning should be something we don’t stop doing when we graduate from said institution.  Learning should be a part of your everyday life.  I’ve read several books, or listened to several podcasts, where I find myself sharing information with someone else when I can present a possible solution to their problem.  I’ve done that several times in this blog.  Recently, I’ve looked back about six months ago and have been amazed at what I’ve learned in that short time frame—and in the past two months I’ve learned much about self-publishing, but am in no way do I consider myself an expert.  I have a long ways, and publish a lot more books, until I’ve hit that level.  And the funny thing is, I’ve read a fair bit about self-publishing (on Amazon.com) over the past few years that many of those nuggets came to the surface at the right time when I needed it.

So even though you may wonder when you’ll ever use the knowledge learned in algebra or physics in high school, you may be surprised at even deducing how to solve a problem, you’ll find yourself down that rabbit hole into your past and find yourself saying, “You know something, Mr. Taylor was right.”

No comments:

Post a Comment