Monday, April 9, 2012

"Dad, what's a Democrat?"

Recently, the 2009 movie the Blind Side was on TV and my kids were watching it.  I happened to be writing in the other room when each of them came up to me and asked, "Dad, what's a Democrat?"

Seems like such an odd question from both my thirteen and eight-year old, when I discovered the origin of their question came from the movie:


My purpose here is not to be political or even give favor to one side or the other, because that's not the purpose of this or any of my blogs.  I have strong opinions, and some of those involves politics, but those I will keep to myself.

My purpose is the power of asking questions.  One should never assume you know the answer.  Research the question.  You might be surprised to find most really don't know how to answer it.  Kids, while growing up, are prone to asking question after question until they're satisfied they have a grasp on the concept.  My son, for example, has a growing interest in cars--and asks lots and lots of questions about them.  Many of them I don't know so I show him where to find the answer.  Funny thing is, it only leads him to asking more questions.

Grown-ups don't ask as many questions as they should.  I'm just as much to blame as anyone, but it's something I'm working on.

As far as the question my children asked at the beginning of this blog post, even after I reviewed Wikipedia on both Democrat or Republican, oddly enough I found myself even asking the same question.

No comments:

Post a Comment