Friday, July 12, 2019

Your time may not be now / Happenings In The Outhouse 12-July-2019

A number of years ago, I used to submit stories to the Writers of the Future contest--check the contest out, if you're able to submit to it.  It's well worth it.

Unfortunately, I stopped submitting.

The reason: what if I won?

Now, this may seem like a stupid reason because of course one wants to win.  But at the same time, there are a lot of perks that go along with being a finalist in the contest.  The biggest is a week-long intensive workshop with a number of authors in the science fiction / fantasy genre, and the knowledge gained is priceless.

Unfortunately, given my wife's health, I stopped submitting.  I cannot be away from her and our kids for a week--this would be in California and I live in Minnesota.  For two weekends in November, I go deer hunting about an hour and a half away from our home.  Even this is a feat, because I may have to return on a moment's notice--and I have, more than once.

At my full-time job, there is an industry experience program that allows 3-4 individuals to learn about various aspects of the electronics business.  This goes for 7-8 weeks, with a full week at the end for travel.  Again, I cannot do this but would love to experience other aspects of the industry.

I am fine with all this.  Despite these obstacles, there are plenty of things I can do.  I may not enter the WOTF contest, but I do continue to write on an almost daily basis.  I also publish.  And I support the contest by purchasing the books.

On a final note, I didn't write this for any sort of sympathy.  I love my family and will do anything for them.  They are the reason I write (and publish) in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment