Friday, July 26, 2019

Busy work vs. your art / Happenings In The Outhouse 26-July-2019

Many have probably heard the story of Jesus, from the book of Luke, visiting the house of Lazarus, Martha, and Mary in Bethany.  During the visit, Mary sits at Jesus's feet and listens to Him while Martha is busy with housework, trying to impress her guests.

Most of us either work a full-time job or busy ourselves with housework/media/social media/etc.  Or both.  Stand back and reflect on how you spend your time.

Sure, it may be fun to binge the latest season of whatever Netflix or Amazon Prime video is offering.  And it may also be fun to play hours and hours of whatever video game is the latest craze.  And housework?  It's never done, is it?

Although it is perfectly okay to set aside time for rest, your art (or your purpose) may be neglected.

Don't schedule too much busy work when you have a project that needs creating.

Right now, I'm battling a few of these demons.  I have a roof that needs new shingles, a wife that has been in the hospital since last Tuesday, and household chores are piling up.  That's not all.  My current project is not getting done--given how fast I've done projects of this size in the past, I should have completed it in 1-2 weeks.

My ideal world would be to have someone chose the shingles (because I don't care about the color since they're pretty standard anyway) and then have a contractor do the work.  I'll just write the check.  I see the value of my time, and I'm fighting with others who don't.  My children, this summer, have finally stepped up their game and are helping more around the house.  Our sixteen-year-old daughter has made supper nearly every single night.

What do you busy yourself with?  What are you putting off because the endless list of "busy chores" are never done?

No comments:

Post a Comment