Friday, May 23, 2014

Happenings In The Outhouse 23-May-2014 / Deadlines are important, even for indies

W. Axl Rose might've said it best when it came to patience.  You need it.  We all need it.  So many times we want to rush projects to market.  Now, I don't mean working on a single novel for four or five years.  That's way too long.

Set a deadline.

Set a realistic one--writing a 75K novel in a week when you've never done it before is completely out of the realm of possibility.  Yet, at the same time, set one that will push you to do something every single day.  Or, at the very least, on a consistent basis--I work best during the week and my weekends, by in large, are set aside for other household duties.

My goal to complete the first Shadowkill novel was slated for the 31st of May.  That is a little more than a week away.

I'm not going to make it.  I'm currently editing chapter 42 and there are 52 chapters in the novel.  At the rate I'm going, I will probably have five left by the end of May.  I'm okay with that.  Besides, I'm going to do one more editing pass--this time much quicker than the first one--to clean things up and then I should be ready to go by late June or early July.

**crossing my fingers**

I'm also planning what to write next.  I have a few shorter projects I might tackle first before the sequel to Beholder's Eye.

Speaking of Beholder's Eye, I have the novel slated for another Kindle Countdown, starting Saturday May 24th.  So, if you haven't picked up a copy of it--shame on you!--now is your chance to do it at a discount.

Here is the link to BEHOLDER'S EYE on the Amazon Kindle store.

No comments:

Post a Comment