Friday, October 14, 2011

A Call To Action

I am in competition.

All writers are in competition.

Not with each other though.

Far from it, although one may tend to believe this.  But why?  People buy more than one book.  Hell, some people's homes look like a mini-library.  I know mine does at times.  Oh, who am I kidding?  I have shelves upon shelves of books, many of them discarded from the local library and bought for mere pennies.

Who am I, and every other writer, in competition with?

Illiteracy, of course.

You see, the better our books, the more fantastic our stories, the more people will read.  One target is the youth, because the youth are open to new ideas and are willing to take those grand journeys of the mind, deep in their own imagination.  The youth are not afraid of shouting from the mountaintop the next greatest thing.

Let that next greatest thing be your stories.

So, I issue at this time a call to action: we writers need to be on a mission, a mission where our enemy is illiteracy.  Write the best stories that you can, take your time to craft just the right words, and capture more and more readers into our nets.

No comments:

Post a Comment