Friday, June 28, 2019

Knowing that you're going down the wrong path (and you still keep going) / Happenings In The Outhouse 28-June-2019

A few weeks ago, I had to halt my current work-in-progress as I had no way of knowing where it was going.

Some stories I've written completely in the dark, with little to no roadmap as to where it was going.  I love those stories as they seemingly wrote themselves.

My current work-in-progress was like driving through a gigantic forest of dense brush . . . and there was no letting up.  I've ran across obstacles (no, I will not call it writer's block!) where I slogged my way through the story until I finally found the way clear.  Remember driving through the dense brush I mentioned moments ago?  The clear path was right on the other side.  All I had to do was keep going.

Not this time.  I had to reverse . . . then, when I found what was causing the mix-up, I turned in the right direction.

My current work-in-progress now has a much clearer path.  I know where it's going . . .

If you ever find yourself struggling with your story, stop and examine where you are.  Could you be going down the wrong path?  If it is, go back through your story and find the new direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment