Friday, May 31, 2019

Writing as therapy / Happenings In The Outhouse 31-May-2019


For me, writing is therapy.  No need to lay on a couch and talk with a shrink.  Writing, like reading fiction or Scriptures, is the best therapy for me.

If you have been following my blog for a considerable time, you'll know that my wife was diagnosed with leukemia back in 2011.  Eight . . . long . . . years ago.  She's still cancer free, but a variety of illnesses bring her down from time to time, not including she gets tired very easily.

Which brings me to May 19th, just a few weeks ago by this point.  My wife hadn't been feeling well for several months, despite going to frequent doctor appointments, with a distinct yellowing in her skin.  On this fateful day, she grew rapidly disorientated.  By the next morning, with the help of my in-laws (her parents), we brought her to the doctor, who advised us to admit her to the ER ASAP.  What they discovered was an elevated level of ammonia.  Her kidneys and liver were failing, due to an infection (UTI), but it could be reversed.  She spent most of that week in the hospital, where she received the best medical care.  She had no memory of the events of the 19th and 20th, where she exhibited her odd behavior.

What does this have to do with writing?  Doesn't this sound a bit selfish for me to think about my writing when my wife was severely ill?

Not at all.  Her needs came first.  At the same time, however, I had to take care of myself.  With a severe lack of sleep, my stress level was probably off the charts.  I rested when I could.  Then, I set out to heal myself.

Enter: writing.

I am currently writing a new story.  Originally, I planned on punching this story out in about two weeks.  Well, it may be a little longer.  Not much, but I delegate what I need to delegate (at home) and I'm setting aside more time for my writing--ahem, I mean therapy.

No comments:

Post a Comment