Friday, April 19, 2019

Alienating your audience / Happenings In The Outhouse 19-Apr-2019

A month ago, I posted a blog about two events, one of which involved two true crime podcasts.  Here's a link if you wish to refresh your memory (the podcast event was at the end of the post).

Well, there has been a new development.  Again, I apologize for doing so without naming names.  But there's a reason for it, a lesson for all of us to learn without any names--besides, I don't want to be the target of any backlash so better safe than sorry.

The true crime podcast who did the shaming of the other has tackled some large cases in depth, one involving a young man who was charged and found guilty of murdering a fellow high school girl.  Other podcasts have done deep dives into this case, including a recent HBO documentary, and I have clear opinions on the case--my opinions I'm keeping to myself.

However, last weekend, the podcast's host took to Twitter and ranted on and on, alienating many people as racist, etc. if they didn't take the host's point of view.  There were even people who responded to the host, stating they are of the same political affiliation, and took the host's view as hypocritical.  Unfortunately, that didn't stop the host's tirade.

In the end, not only did I unsubscribe from the podcast, I deleted all of the episodes I hadn't gotten to yet--which is pretty much everything after season one, about the case I indicated above.  I will never listen to another episode of this podcast.

Authors, actors, and other creative types have also done this time and again--especially in today's age, with our current POTUS, social media is ripe with this kind of crap.  I have also blacklisted them.

Beware of what you say or post online, for you may be alienating your audience.  You may not care.  That's fine, if that is the risk you want to take.  Here's the approach I would take: focus on your art, your creation.  That is what the fans want to see, not your personal views on controversial topics.

No comments:

Post a Comment