Friday, February 9, 2018

Let's talk (again) about money / Happenings In The Outhouse 09-Feb-2018

We've talked about money before.  Please look at this blog post for a discussion in 2016 on it.

I recently read a blog post by an award-winning author who posted their earnings, split up into royalties, self-published earning, Patreon earnings, etc.

This author, who will remain nameless and I will not post a link to the post (not even going as far as to say if this author is male or female), but they made, from their writing, roughly $47,000 in 2017.  The author then lamented that they earned less than $200 from self-publishing and roughly $16,000 ranging from traditional royalties, from book to film--I'm not sure if this was before or after the standard agent fees, but I may stipulate for argument sake that it may be after.  Over $29,000 was earned from Patreon fans who give a monthly stipend for whatever reward this author had set up.

Not bad.

Although . . . this author bemoaned the earnings, even going as far as to say they may be moving to Canada where health insurance is free (umm, haven't heard of taxes, which is higher to be paid for said services, along with an extremely long wait for procedures - but I digress).

I just did our taxes for the past year, and I will tell you I did not earn even close to $47,000 from my writing, but I did earn more than this author's self-published works.  I will not disclose amounts--there are plenty of other authors who do, and I don't want to muddy the waters--but I will tell you that I have a full-time job (with fantastic health insurance) and writing for me is long-term.  It's an investment.  It may seem like peanuts now . . . but the dividends will pay off down the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment