Friday, May 6, 2016

Let's talk money / Happenings In The Outhouse 06-May-2016

I read an interesting article the other day by Dean Wesley Smith, where he talked about cash streams.

One paragraph to note: "And I chuckle when someone looks at a few of my book’s sales rankings on Amazon and come to the conclusion I don’t make any money. I have way beyond 300 books on Amazon. Some of my books haven’t sold more than a copy all year, some have sold a lot."  Here's the entire article here: http://www.deanwesleysmith.com/some-fun-stuff-today/

I read this and smile.  There are some books of his that don't sell more than a few copies a year.  Us writers are small fish in a huge ocean.  Sure, there are bigger fish than others--Rowling, Stephen King, Patterson, Grisham come to mind here--but for hungry readers who have devoured all that these powerhouse authors have published, there are others who need to fill the niche.

So when I review my daily or monthly sales and see only a handful being sold, I don't fret.  Yes, I want to make money doing this.  But I think long-term.  I pray I have as long of a career as Dean Wesley Smith has, with over 300 books to his name--and churning out more all the time.

I keep working.

And so should you.

Don't focus so much on the money.  Money will come.  Focus, instead, on creating your works of art, over and over again.  Keep putting more products out there.

Long-term.

It's where the focus should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment