Monday, March 31, 2014

Do I or Don't I

Each of us writers wage an inner battle of  "Do I?" or "Don't I?"

You get an idea: do you do anything with it . . . or don't you?  Do you write the idea down or do you let it slip through your mental fingers?

Let's say you decide to cultivate the idea into a story, be it short story, novella, novel, or even a series.  Do you decide to write the first draft or don't you?  Also, do you complete it?

Okay, first draft is done.  Now what?  Do you edit it . . . or not?

Do you let it sit in a drawer for all time?

Do you even let others read it and give an honest critique?

Okay, four or five drafts later, what do you do with it?  Publish it?

How?

Indie?  Traditional?

One could say that every single day--or even every single time we sit down to write--we ask ourselves: do I or don't I?

What are you deciding?

If you are answering no, why?  Are you afraid of failure?  Or are you afraid of succeeding?

No comments:

Post a Comment