Friday, February 14, 2014

Happenings In The Outhouse 14-Feb-2014 / Pruning your life

Not only is today Valentine's Day--the day we share our love for our loved ones--it is also halfway through the first quarter of 2014.

How are your goals coming along?

Back in the last 90's, when my son was just a wee-little lad, I served a three-year stint on our church board.  It was a new experience.  But, when my time was done, I vowed never to serve again until at least all of our kids were graduated from high school.

At the time, I worked a full-time sales job for a local electronics distributor as well as a part-time dispatcher/deputy for the Sheriff's department.  Needless to say, I was busy.  Most months, I worked an average of fifteen shifts a month for the Sheriff.  That doesn't leave a lot of free time to do anything else.

I think about that time now because, when I look over my goals list for 2014, I have 19 separate goals.  When I break it down, there are only three that matter--and of those three, if I accomplish two, I'm going to be just fine.

Look at your life.  Are there activities you can prune out of your life, much like pruning dead branches from a tree?  Simplifying your life will result in less procrastination--because, in my opinion, procrastination is just an excuse to do something else.

Prune out those activities you could do without.  Do you really need to watch five or six hours of TV each night?  Probably not--and don't give me the excuse it's for research.  If writing--or whatever you'd like to do--is what you love, find the time to do it.  Cut out other commitments.

Learn to say NO.

No comments:

Post a Comment