Friday, September 13, 2019

How much is too much? / Happenings In The Outhouse 13-Sept-2019

My kids and I went to see the new movie It Chapter Two last weekend.  Afterward, my youngest daughter thought it was good, even though she was scared.  But one thing she said made me stop and think: "Dad, it had the right amount of jump scares."

What a profound and interesting statement.

It was true.  I've been to movies and watched TV shows where there is an overindulgent of an element of storytelling.  Jump scares are fine, but overdoing it is another.  When it comes to telling a good story, you can't always have your feet on the accelerator.  You need to stop every once and a while, just for a breather.

Even though good thrillers are typically fast-paced, they do slow down at just the right times.  But don't take my word for it.  As my basic writing advice is:

1) read a lot

2) write a lot

3) publish/submit for publication a lot

If you spend enough time reading and analyzing stories, you'll know how it works naturally.

No comments:

Post a Comment